Examples of Information We May Collect
We have explained in another document our policy regarding “cookies” and analytics. For a full description, we refer you to that explanation. To summarize here for your convenience, however, we stress that when we indicate that we “share” data, that does not mean we sell your data or share your Protected Health Information (PHI). To the contrary, the sharing of information in the form of cookies and other analytics is to improve the services we can offer, analyze our own effectiveness through our product, and ensure to the best of our ability a satisfying web experience for you. It is through well-managed sharing and analytics, for example, that we can determine if you have reached our Site as the result of our marketing efforts to you. Well-managed analytics also ensure, for example, that when you enter a search word that has two (or more) meanings, your computer will know how the search relates to your historical use, predict what you want and need, and simplify your browsing experience. Without these methods, your searches can be slow and frustrating. With them, your searches may become quick and smooth, virtually intuitive. At all times, without exception, we protect your PHI. Thus, in order to provide quality services, we may collect information about you in a variety of ways, including but not limited to:
- Personal Data: In order to use some parts of the Site, a User must first complete a registration form. During registration, a user is required to give their contact information, usually your name and email address. Personally identifiable information is information such as your name, address, email address, and telephone number, and demographic information that you voluntarily give to us when you register with the Site or our mobile application, or when you choose to participate in various activities related to the Site and our mobile application. You are under no obligation to provide us with personal information of any kind, however your refusal to do so may prevent you from using certain features of the Site and our mobile application. This information is primarily used to contact the User about the services on our Site for which they have expressed interest. It is not shared with or sold to any other entity for use outside of the ASI and TGI product for which you are registering at our Site.
- Derivative Data: When you access the Site, information our Site may automatically collect may include data such as your IP address, browser type, operating system, access times, and the pages you have viewed directly before and after accessing the Site. Collection of such data is a standard practice designed to clarify to us whether you have entered our Site as the result of our own outreach to you such as from a newsletter or email you received from TGI or ASI. If you are using our mobile application, this information may also include your device name and type, operating system, phone number, country, and other interactions with the application and other Users via server log files, as well as any other information you choose to provide. At no time is this collected data sold to a third party.
- Data from Quality Improvement Surveys or Other Contact with ASI and/or TGI: Certain personal and other information may be collected such as information you choose to provide when responding to quality feedback surveys or when you contact ASI and/or TGI.
Mobile Application Information:
If you connect using our mobile application, we may collect:
- Geo-Location Information: We may request permission to access location-based information from your mobile device, either continuously or while you are using our mobile application, to provide location-based services as required by law or policy. If you wish to change our access or permissions, you may do so in your device’s settings.
- Mobile Device Data: We may collect device information (such as your mobile device ID, model and manufacturer), operating system, version information and IP address.
Examples of How We May Use Your Information
Having accurate information about you permits us to provide you with a smooth, efficient, and customized experience. Specifically, we may use data collected about you via the Site or our mobile application for purposes such as but not limited to:
- Administer customer support;
- Assist law enforcement and respond to subpoena;
- Compile anonymous statistical data and analysis for use internally, with third parties, for research and/or publication;
- Create and manage your account;
- Verify your identity;
- Deliver information about the Site and associated products and services to you;
- Email you regarding your account or order;
- Enable user-to-user communications;
- Fulfill and manage account information and other transactions related to the Site;
- Generate a personal profile about you to make future visits to the Site more personalized;
- Increase the efficiency and operation of the Site;
- Monitor and analyze usage and trends to improve your experience with the Site;
- Notify you of updates to the Site;
- Offer new products, services, and/or recommendations to you;
- Perform other business activities as needed;
- Prevent fraudulent transactions, monitor against theft, and protect against criminal activity;
- Process payments and refunds;
- Request feedback and contact you about your use of the Site;
- Resolve disputes and troubleshoot problems;
- Respond to product and customer service requests;
- Solicit support for the Site.
Examples of How We May Disclose Your Information
We may share information we have collected about you in certain situations. For example, your information may be disclosed as follows:
- By Law, Subpoena, or Regulation: ASI and TGI do not disclose the identities of visitors or Users of the Site unless legally required to do so. We will respond to any subpoena received from a government agency (such as but not limited to the Securities and Exchange Commission or law enforcement agencies) in accordance with the law. Unless prohibited by law or by a valid court order, we will notify you of any subpoena received from any other party (such as but not limited to for civil litigation) which requires us to disclose your identity, in accordance with the law, as required by the deadline in the subpoena, before providing the information requested by the subpoena.
- Third-Party Service Providers: We may share your information with third parties that perform specific services for us or on our behalf, including payment processing, data analysis, email delivery, hosting services, customer service, and marketing assistance.
- Business Partners: We may share your information with our business partners to offer you certain products, services, or additional information.
- Other Third Parties: We may share the online information you have provided to us with third parties for the purpose of conducting general business analysis. We may also share your information with such third parties for marketing purposes, as permitted by law. It is not sold to any entity. Marketing data is information that can be used to improve product development, promotion of Company services, distribution, and related strategies such as branding, and determining customer needs and preferences.
Conditions of Use
Affective Software (ASI) and The Gottman Institute (TGI)
Your Rights, Communication Opt-Out, and Information Change Request Procedures
You have rights regarding our collection and use of your personal information:
- You have the right to request certain information we have collected about you.
- You have the right to opt-out of receiving future contacts or mailings. ASI provides you with the opportunity to opt-out of receiving electronic communications from us and our partners at the point where we request information about you. If you no longer wish to receive correspondence, emails, or other communications from third parties, you are responsible for contacting the third party directly.
- You have the right to request deletion or modification of your personally identifiable information from ASI and TGI’s records. To delete or modify your personally identifiable information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. If you request the deletion or termination of your account, we will deactivate or delete your account and information from our databases. However, some information may be retained in our files to prevent fraud, troubleshoot problems, assist with any investigations, enforce our Terms and Conditions and/or comply with legal requirements or regulations (such as for some states that may require enhanced privacy rights and consumer protection as is the case with the California Consumer Privacy Act, or CCPA).
- We may not discriminate against you if you exercise your rights as described in this notice. For example, we may not deny goods or services to you, or charge you different prices or rates, or provide a different level of quality of products or services if you choose to exercise your rights.
Security of Your Information
ASI and TGI use administrative, technical, and physical security measures consistent with industry standards to help protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of information under ASI and TGI’s control. Your information is protected during transmission and at-rest. While we have taken reasonable steps to safeguard the personal information you provide to us, please be aware that despite our efforts, any electronic platform may be vulnerable to security risk and cannot guarantee 100% security. Your use of this Site is with this knowledge and approval despite potential risk.
At the beginning of therapy, U.S. Federal HIPAA law requires that your independently practicing clinician present you with a Notice of Privacy Practices (NPP). Please be sure that you receive and sign such a document prior to proceeding with therapy. The NPP describes how psychological and medical information about you, referred to as Protected Health Information (PHI), may be used and disclosed and how you can access this information. Please review that document carefully.
Please note that ASI and TGI are not affiliated with any clinical service provider using the Site or any ASI or TGI product. All clinicians are independent providers and have no business affiliation or partnership of any kind, neither actual nor implied, with ASI or TGI.
Links to Third Party Sites
The Site may contain links to other sites. These links are for the convenience of visitors to the Site only, and neither ASI nor TGI nor the Site makes any representation or assurances whatsoever regarding such other sites. You should review the privacy policies of other sites carefully before providing any information to such sites or accepting information from them. Neither ASI nor TGI nor the Site is responsible for the privacy policies or procedures or the content of any other site.
Controls for Do-Not-Track Features
Compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
The Site is not directed at children under the age of 13. ASI and TGI comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act and do not knowingly permit submission of Personal Information by anyone under 13 years of age.
Supplemental Privacy Right for California Residents
Supplemental Privacy Right for Nevada Residents
How to Contact Us